Toddlers are such active, energetic, happy people but they tend to get sick suddenly and without warning usually at 2am in the morning. So how do you know that your baby is sick? You do it by observing them closely as they are too young to explain what is happening themselves. Some signs include: chills,coughing, runny nose,excess sleep,not wanting to play,not wanting to eat, crying excessively, changes in urine or stool,changes in skin color, vomiting and being irritable.if they exhibit any of these signs,you can take a thermometer and check the temperature. The results determine your next course of action. If its too high, bundle up the baby really quickly and rush to a doctor and get help.
It would be difficult to find a doctor on call in the middle of the night but no, you do not need to wait till the morning to help your child. Check-in to see how online doctor visits work. After the doctor has examined the baby, he or she will administer the necessary dosage or injection and later discharge you or ask you to spend some time in the hospital for check up. If you are well enough to go home,take the baby home and try to keep her as comfortable as possible.you can also do the following: keep the lights dimmed as harsh lights can cause discomfort to the baby in the bedroom, cheer them up with their favorite meals and snacks if they want and spoil her like the baby she is.keep watch over the baby and follow medication to the letter to avoid a relapse. As the baby gets better, keep the her hydrated as the body loses much water due to sweating and vomiting, introduce solid food slowly as the baby might not have an appetite, follow the kids pace as you can’t force them to do what they don’t want. Teach them to sneeze at the elbow to avoid spread of germs,watch over so they wash their hands after visiting the toilet as this destroys germs,give them nutritious food that will help them regain strength and which will help the body fight disease causing organisms.
Such foods can be:
Rice, apple syrup, cereal, milk, chicken soup, fruits and vegetables. Little by little they will regain their strength and become happy toddlers again.
If the baby was not so serious to be taken to the hospital, you can buy some medication at the local chemist and give the baby dosage as instructed.when you get home and the baby is not seriously sick,you can do some things to ensure she is comfortable.
- Do something special like cooking her favorite dish or getting her a new toy.
- Switch the scenery of the surrounding area by maybe taking her to the garden if she has been in bed for long
- Give a warm bath
- Do not worry about mealtimes but give her what she is comfortable eating
- Let them sit in front of the TV if they desire, watching cartoons will take their mind off any discomfort they could be feeling.
- Keep lights dimmed in their room when they sleep
- Break the boredom of having the baby sick in bed by introducing a new toy she can play with.
- She can stay home from school if she isn’t well enough to go.
- Give the baby highly nutritious food to regain strength.
- As a mother, stress less and be there for your baby as you can’t take good care of her if you aren’t OK yourself.
- Invite her friends to come see her if its not a contagious disease.
- Open windows in her room or humidify the room so there’s fresh air and the room isn’t stuffy.
- Hydrate the baby well by giving her small sips of water now and then
- Offer fruits and vegetables
- Teach the toddler to touch or say where she feels pain. This will go along way in knowing what is wrong with your baby.
- A little honey mixed with warm water will go a long way to fight disease
- Keep the toddler warm if the weather is cold and light clothing if the weather is hot and humid.
- Always keep the house very clean as a dirty house is a haven of germs that cause diseases
- Teach your toddler to wash hands after playing outside or after visiting the toilet
- Always keep your toddlers toys clean and well kept.
- A healthy toddler is a happy child.
A toddler is always a very busy person,always ensure that there is nothing in the house that can cause her to have an accident that will cause sickness this can be: a slippery floor,broken toys,a broken heating system can cause colds and flu and broken windows, uncut bushes around the house can cause insect bites and too much heat in the house can cause heat rashes and suffocation.